Monday 23 May 2011

Alpha Males


Well, this is my first blog and I thought I'd ramble on about the thing that, if we are really honest, draws women to romance novels, the alpha male. Critics of romance are quick to dismiss the male characters as unrealistic, plastic people that lack substance and, on the surface, they may be right, there are some undisputable similarites.

They are always handsome, always rich and usually brooding and sexually unsurpassable,often with a flaw that can only be mended by the love of a good woman - a woman the reader can identify with. 
The male characters put the romance into the genre simply because it is most women's dream to be the object of an alpha male's desire.


For many women, after a long day at the office or of wrestling with a couple of cranky kids all day,  there is nothing nicer than to slip into a hot bubbling bath with a broad chested, smouldering hunk of muscle -a fictional one, of course.

But, let's face it, few of us are ever going to meet anyone as handsome or as rich as a romance hero ...or maybe we do, at least once.

Apart from being rich, my own smoulderingly sexy, alpha male fills most of the above criteria or at least he does in my head; which is all that  matters. 

I think romance is a lot to do with your personal outlook.  My man is getting on a bit now, he has grey hair and a few wrinkles and he doesnt own a big yacht to sail me away around the world.  But he does it for me.

What I think I am trying to say is that alpha males are all in the mind. When in a novel, the ordinary girl from the east of London looks upon her wild eyed, Italian billionaire she is looking at him through the eyes of love; eyes that can change the most ordinary bloke into an adonis.  To a woman in love her man is an alpha male, his eyes do have the ability to weaken her knees and his touch does burn her like a brand. 

Most of  us have been close enough to feel the passion at some point, haven't we? So what's wrong with celebrating the feeling?

No comments:

Post a Comment