Tuesday 14 February 2012

Love is not just for St. Valentine's Day.

No romance author worth her salt would miss posting a blog on St. Valentine's Day so here I am, blogging on February 14th, 2012 about love and what it means to me.
 When I was a giddy young thing I believed there was nothing worse than a Valentine's Day devoid of cards and flowers - my (then) partner never dared to overlook such an important day or the resulting row would be horrible. So, for many years I had the red satin hearts and the flowers, not always roses for they are hard on a fella's wallet. But the gifts always seemed to lack something, perhpas I was ungrateful but I have come to realise that the thing they lacked was the sentiment.
It's easy to give flowers once a year and let that be the limit of romantic expression. I understand now that I was with the wrong man.
Now I am older, (some would say wiser but they'd probably be wrong) the cards don't matter so much and neither do the gifts. The thing that is important these days is the affection that is given daily. For almost twenty years he has been bringing me coffee in bed every morning and working extra hard, allowing me to write full time (despite never making enough money at it.)  I don't need roses or fancy cards one day a year because at least once a week, he comes home with something small thing he has seen and thought I might like. It might just be a piece of art deco china or a pretty vase to most people but, to me, it's special  because it comes from him. We don't dine out very often because it is nicer here with just the two of us.
As long as he continues to come home, kiss me on the cheek and ask how my day has been, I will be happy because it's the moment I have waited for all day.  So, if your partner forgot your card and left the hyped-up tacky gifts on the supermarket shelf, don't worry; as long as he comes home with a smile and a pleased-to-see-you kiss, you shouldn't really need anything more.
Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment