Thursday 5 July 2012

Your invitation ...

Kidwelly Castle - Carmarthenshire
I cannot believe my last post was in March when I was heralding in the Spring! What on earth have I been doing?  Not lazing around that is for sure. We had a family bereavement that interrupted my flow a little and since then I have had  my head down, researching and writing my forthcoming release. I think I hinted sometime ago that the next one might be a little different. Well, it's certainly that but I am not here to talk about that today.

Castell Henllys - iron age village - Pembrokeshire
I was thinking that here in the UK the spring began fine and dry. In the southeast there were panics about drought, hose pipe bans, possible crop failure ...it all sounded a little unlikely to me because I live in Wales where the rain, when it falls, which is often, comes in bucketloads.  There were no dusty dry fields around here, although the rain fall had been considerably less than usual.  We like mud in Wales and we like clouds - or maybe we have just got used to them, either way, we have them.

Tresaith Beach - Ceredigion








So when the 'drought' ended, it really didn't seem fair that we were washed out too. The Welsh water table was high enough and we saw no cause for celebration. Bring on a dry summer, we said, we need the tourists to come. But, since the end of May, there has been nothing but rain, sheets of it, lakes of it, oceans of it. Couldn't there be a happy medium? Even in the southeast, that dustbowl we were hearing about in April, the people are now begging the rain to stop.  everyone is a little fed up with it.
Here in Wales, the country fairs are being cancelled, sporting events washed out, tourists cancelling reservations at B&B's and Guesthouses. It doesn't look good. At least if we had a sunny drought the holiday makers would visit in their droves, stuff themselves with strawberries and ice-creams and Welsh cakes and give rural Wales the boost it needs.

Historic Newquay Harbour - Ceredigion
It is so lovely here, even when it's raining. I often write about Wales. My first novel For One Night Only features an exiled Welshman and his return  to the soft, green valleys of his homeland. You know, that is why Tom Jones sings, The Green Green Grass of Home, with such conviction. It really is true, there's no place like home and I count my blessings that I live here.

Newport Bay - Pembrokeshire
So, if you are planning on having a Staycation this year or if any of my readers from the USA are visiting the UK, please don't forget about Wales. It's the bit stuck on the side, the place Americans often refer to as "Wales, England". Because there is nowhere nicer. And your visit needn't be all about the Olympics, we have other buildings besides the Millenium Stadium. We have castles, cathedrals and ancient churches to inspire you, countryside that will knock your socks off, mountains, moorland, wildlife, and an awesome natural coastline that you can walk from end to end if  you care to.  We have World famous male voice choirs, harpists, there is a song on every tongue in Wales.
Pentre Ifan - Pembrokeshire
Since this is supposed to be a writing blog, I should mention we have wonderful writers and artists too. Galleries, theatres, open air exhibitions, award winning restruants. You can visit Hay on Wye, the bookshop capital of the world, or at Laugharne where you can see Dylan Thomas' home, see his writing den and follow the Dylan Thomas trail throughout Wales. Note: not surprisingly, this trail includes rather a lot of pubs. 
This country is teeming with poets, writers and visual artists, so why not come and see us. the sun will come out soon and, even if it doesn't, You will still find a welcome in our hillsides. But bring your wellies, just in case.

Croeso!

2 comments:

  1. I'm delighted to read your passionate defence of Wales. All my childhood holidays were spent at Llanidloes and Aberystwyth, cloudy skies never mattered. The soft harmonies of grey, blue and green filter into the soul. And in autumn and winter - as your photo shows, there is the dramatic browning of the bracken. And of course, the wide open hillsides offer peace and a chance to feel close to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely isn't it Beth? And we do have sun sometimes :)) My husband and I (ooh, I sound like the queen) often say that when the sun is out there is nowhere lovlier. I hope you come back soon.

    ReplyDelete